Ensure that you and your mentee set aside plenty of time to work through the goal-setting framework. Your role is to support your mentee as he/she achieves a goal (s), so you may want to revisit progress during mentoring sessions. Your mentee must set and buy in to the goals.
Part one: Coach your mentee to set his/her own goals.
My outcome (goal) is:
- What specifically do I want?
- Where and with whom do I want it?
- When do I want to achieve it?
- What will be different when I get it; what will I see, hear and feel?
- How will I know if I was on track for achieving this outcome?
- How will I know if I was going off course?
- What resources can I activate to get this outcome?
- What resources might I need to acquire to achieve this outcome?
- Who do I need to support me and what do I need them to do?
Part two: Ensuring that the goal is analyzed in detail.
Steps to take to achieve the goal
How will I celebrate the success?