Your mentee may become bogged down with negative thoughts. The short questionnaire here asks some incisive questions to quickly get them into a positive frame of mind.
- What would be the worst thing that could happen by doing or saying this?
- What evidence do you have?
- What logic is there in that answer?
- What would be the worst thing that could happen if you do not do this?
- What do you have to lose from this?
- What do you have to gain from this?
- What can you learn from this experience?
Changing the Thought Pattern
- What is making you anxious or worried? Specify the situation.
- State the worst thing that could possibly happen.
- Is the above life-threatening?
- If the worst were to happen, how would you resolve it?
- To improve upon the worst possible outcome, list the specific steps you will take.
- If you were to take these steps, how would you feel about the outcome?
- Future pace. If any further thought patterns interfere, repeat.